Translate

Monday, February 10, 2014

Olympic Flashback: Racism Again

I remember watching the Olympics when the fantastic Surya Bonaly competed. What?!?! A black woman ice skating?!?!? Oh blow the mind of the world!! (Oh grow-up.)

She was fantastic! Athletic, beautiful, graceful, she had it all. However the racism of the world, and judges, couldn't deal with her. So she did what any gutsy champion would do: She pulled out all of the stops and did an unprecedented back flip onto one leg.

Let me state that again: Onto one leg!

See for yourself:



And wouldn't ya' know it? She was not given credit for the move when her score was tallying.

Oh give me a break.

So as the Olympics play on now - and I am an unashamed patriot even more so at this time - and the homophobia of Russia fills our eyes with hateful glare, I would like to take a moment to honor a rebel: Surya Bonaly. Read all about her here: Surya Bonaly is the biggest bad ass in Winter Olympics History

No comments: